As a new mom of twin infants, I've spent a lot of time navigating how to use the little free time I have well. Being a stay at home mom can sometimes be a lonely job, so I've realized it is so important to be intentional with my time so that when I do have a few free minutes, I'm doing what is life giving AND what is needed to get done. I'm learning that time is a choice, and I can say that I don't have time to do certain things, but the fact of the matter is- I DO have time, I just have to choose how I use it. So, how did I begin prioritizing my time?
First, I made a few lists:
1) What I need for my own heart/ What gives me life: For me, I realized how much my heart needed to sink into the Word each day. This was my number one must. To love my family well and to stay grounded in what is true, I need the Word of God to penetrate my heart.
2) What needs to get done at home for our family: This includes the daily chores that keep the family running- for me it includes pumping, going to the grocery store, laundry, making dinner, cleaning dishes, etc.
3) What would be nice to do: For me, it's little projects that I want to do, but aren't required. Like organizing that pile of papers on my desk - if I don't get it done this week, everyone will live, but if I have a few extra minutes, it'd be a good thing to tackle.
Once I made these lists, I thought about my typical day, and asked myself, "What is the most practical way to fit these priorities into the little free time that I have?" Well, my girls nap 3 times each day (if the day is going as planned), so the first morning nap, I decided to put aside to be in the Word. To have that as my first priority in the day grounds me and allows me to meditate on those truths throughout the day. During the second nap, I shower and start house chores. During the final nap, I do any remaining chores, and then use any leftover time to either tackle list 3, or do something else that's life giving (write, journal, call a friend, etc).
I hope this helps you. It may seem sort of basic, but I've found that taking time to do this has really allowed me to live my day with more intention, which has allowed me to be a better wife, mom, and friend to the people who matter most to me. If finding time to do the things that matter has been hard for you, I'd encourage you to put aside some time to think through what's on your lists, and where you can fit them into your day. It may seem overwhelming at first, but as you work through this exercise, I pray that it will actually feel really freeing, like it did for me.
Joy and Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment